Serging a Rolled Hem
Finally, two hours after the start, I have figured out a rolled hem on my serger. I'm posting about this in case I can save anyone else the trouble and frustration I felt. Yes, I had my manual in front of me and yes I read and followed the directions.
It did not work until I read "tips" in the back of the manual. Ugh.
My graffitied serger:
First, decide how many threads you want to use.
There are two thread, three thread, and four thread hems.
I made a 3 thread rolled hem.
Keep in mind my serger is a
1. Remove a needle. I removed the left needle. On my machine I used needle "A".
2. Push the width switch to "R". This is right below the presser foot on my machine. Options include "R' and "S" for this model.
3. Change the thread tensions as follows:
(my tensions are set with the left needle removed).
Upper Looper: 7
Lower Looper: 2.5
4. Set stitch Length dial to F-2.
(This is the round dial on the right side of the machine.)
I didn't change my "differential feed". I kept it at one.
That's the other little switch there you see in the pic with all the writing around it.
5. Make sure your needles are right for the fabric- 80/11 works with my cotton voile just fine.
Need help on needle info? Click here.
6. Make sure the knife is down.
7. Test on scraps first.
The project at hand: Top and Bloomer set.
I love the Gothic super long nightgown, but I would get tangled up at night in that.....disaster!
Two hours later my lovely child still sleeps. Thank you R. (!!!!)
If you have any questions feel free to email me.
Need some wonderful fabric at a great price?
Shop the Sew Humble Beginnings SALE !